Thursday, June 22, 2017

I CONSIDER MYSELF A FASS... A FASLY... A FACILILY... A TEACHER


My stint as Writer-in-Residence at the Katharine Susannah Prichard Writers Centre approaches like a monster riding a runaway train over a cliff while on fire (Of course I'm ready. Why wouldn't I be ready? What would make you think that? Ha. Ha ha ha. Oh, you. Am I ready, you ask. Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahhhhhccccchhhhhh.....)


From the 10th to the 24th I'll be ensconced in one of the Centre's delightful cabins; staring out at the beautiful gardens while I pretend to write; visiting writing groups to spread love, bonhomie and my usual blend of fatuous advice; mentoring aspiring authors who haven't yet worked out what a complete fraud I am; and generally living the life of a swanny writah dahling while I work on my next round of rejection fodder.


I'll also be helming a workshop:


World Building 101 will be an intense, 3 hour session in what I do best-- bringing the odd into the mundane; tipping normality so that it doesn't look quite right, whatever angle you view it from; and generally injecting a note of weirdness into your work. We'll be discussing, and practicing, the elements of fantasy world-building, and smashing through a series of exercises designed to give participants the beginnings of a whole bunch of different fantastical stories. You can see my full itinerary here, including the literary dinner on the 11th July, for which tickets are still available.


The workshop takes place from 1-4pm, Saturday 22 July, at the KSP in Greenmount. Bookings are open now through Eventbrite.

No comments: